On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM,  <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> [snip]
>>A muon track could look like a proton track in a cloud chamber. How can you
>>tell the difference?

> The length of the track would be an indicator. Muons are very penetrating, so
> would likely keep right on going through the chamber and out the other side.
> The
> track itself might be very thin or even invisible (not much interaction per
> atom). A proton track OTOH would probably stop in the chamber after maybe
> roughly 10 cm? 4-5 MeV alphas travel a few centimeters in air (2-5). Protons
> have a somewhat longer range, because they are only singly charged.

The best photo of the cloud chamber I could find is on p.29 of this
NASA presentation:

http://ebongeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Overview-of-Low-Energy-Nuclear-Reactions-LENR-as-Implemented-by-Andrea-Rossi-and-Francesco-Piantelli.pdf

There are many interesting things in this presentation including a
statement on p.24 that both Piantelli and Rossi have observed gammas
and neutrons.