Interesting that Ivanpah is a high wind area with land sailing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Lake

Flat mirrors catch a lot more wind than a low profile trough, like a sail.

I guess without the mirror coating the system would be be performing
even worse than 40% below design...

Troughs have used Dowtherm fluid or equivalent for 40 years, molten salt is
a newer fluid with much less proven performance and design hazards
(corrosive & solidifies when it cools off)

The real play with Ivanpah was the IPO, which failed.  That way the crooks
would have had the taxpayers pay for it the first time and then investors
buy it a second time while they suck the money out and bankrupt it.

Having a big glare problem Ivanpah also, FAA is involved.

http://docketpublic.energy.ca.gov/PublicDocuments/07-AFC-05C/TN203395_20141203T090345_IVANPAH_SOLAR_GENERATING_SYSTEM_GLARE_INVESTIGATION.pdf

Bird problem takes care of itself, most vaporize before striking the ground
so they don't count. :)

Happy New Year!