SPP formation requires that no photonic energy is wasted through absorption.

There is a big difference between deuterium and protium. Deuterium is
transparent to UV radiation and absorbs infrared whereas protium
is transparent to infrared and absorbs UV.

At 1200C, the photonics is one where UV dominates and at 500 C infrared
dominates. Deuterium is best applied in very high temperature photonic
systems,

The design of the reaction dictates what naterils to use.