I made sure to apprise Ed on these experimental results.  I am sure he will
consider how they may be explained at some point.

The detection count was not as low as you seem to believe.  In spectrum 07
there were almost 300,000 counts in a signal that we believe probably
lasted only a minute or two. Suppose it was 2 minutes or 120 seconds.  That
would come out to 2500 counts/second.  Compare that to ~55,000 counts of
background in 14,160 seconds which is <4 counts per second.  That is a huge
difference.  Also, the solid angle of the detector which was sufficiently
removed so as to not suffer bad heating means that the overall total flux
integrated over 4pi was sizeable.

Also, the lead brick cave square channel limits the field of view to just
the active reactor more or less.  This also cuts down the sensitivity of
the detector, but localizes its response to predominantly in the direction
of the reactor.  It is like looking at something through a cardboard tube.

We may be able to extract some measure of the peak rate from the difference
between the real time and live time reported during this integration.