Harry,

I can see where you would think that based on the active side being lower
than null to start and later higher.  However, there was already the
differential with the active side reading lower than the null side even
during the calibration.  Also, chemistry effects in these types of
experiments are fairly clear when they happen and usually don't last more
than 30 mins (certainly less than 1 hour).  I base that on numerous
experiments I have conducted, and the chemistry effects are seen at the
temperatures where you expect them to occur.

Were I to imagine a scenario where the excess heat was not real in this
case, it would go like the following: at lower temperature, the heating
coil has more space between the windings; at higher temperature, it pulls
together beneath the TC producing a higher temp at that spot.  Then it
relaxes when it cools off.  Of course that is imaginary, but a plausible
alternative.  That is why it would be good to do at least conduction
calorimetry.

Jack