From: Bob Higgins

Ø  Muonic decay in the reactor is an interesting prospect that I would like to
read more about. However, I don't think the muons, electrons, or protons are
going to escape the reactor in any large number due to the mass/cm^2 they would
have to traverse to get out. Muons are no more likely to penetrate the reactor
walls than electrons or protons of the same energy.

Holmlid is communicative, speaks English, and answers his email, so it would be
wise to pose the questions directly to him. I am pretty certain that he
believes that almost all muons escape the reactor.

As I understand the situation, your logical error above is to assume that the
muons formed in the reactor are not relativistic but are of comparable energy
to fusion.

This is not the interpretation of Holmlid which I have. The muons from UDD
disintegration are much more energetic than protons from fusion. The reason the
reactor does not heat up, commensurate with their energy is because almost all
of them escape.

The “decay halo” of fast electrons from muon decay could be a
probability-sphere which is a hundred meters in diameter around the reactor. At
any place within this zone, the counts are fairly low, but not inverse square –
and the falsifiability comes from finding the precise zone where counts are
much higher, which is far removed from the reactor - corresponding to the peak
of decay activity.

The reason that muons are an issue with the lead in the scintillator shield is
that the cosmogenic muons have a typical energy of 2GeV - probably 1000x that
of what could be created inside the reactor.  The penetration is directly
related to the energy of the muon.

Certainly some in-the-cave vs. out-of-the-cave measurements are in order, but
can't easily be done while the experiment is running.