Fantastic demo, again...

However i feel the analogy of a ball trapped under a running tap seems to
adequately explain the situation - the relative angular velocities are high
enough that the angular direction is incidental to the fact that it's
simply a fast alternating field (the same principle behind AGW sync in the
Whipmag), and the mid-air suspension is similarly the net zero vertical
displacements of the rapid equal and opposite vertical forces in
homeostasis / dynamic equilibrium with the zero balance of induced vertical
momentums.

All else being equal, there should be a predictable vertical offset due to
gravity when the magnet is suspended from the opposite direction.

Another interesting angle would be to attempt to modulte the harmonic phase
of the sync as a function of MoI of the spinning sample - if the rotors are
painted black across half their diameter you could use a cheap laser tacho
to compare their velocities to the base magnet.

You could then modify the suspended rotor by adding a lightweight rigid
radial extension of some kind, along which two small heavier masses can be
affixed at equal radius 180° opposite to each other.  In this way the mass
of the rotor remains constant, and its radial distribution can be varied
between runs to compare relative sync velocities as a function of varying
angular inertia.

Alternatively find or fabricate a selection of lightweight washers / rings
with equal mass and varying radii that can be attached to the samples..

For any given set of fixed parameters, there is likely more than one stable
sync rate, and the incidents of max energy transfer follow the harmonic
series (first the unison, then factors of two, then three, etc. of the base
rate), with the transmission efficiency decreasing as a function of impulse
/ angle.

This same dynamic applies to multiple planes, encompassing precession and
nutation etc..