-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Walker

> However ... it should be noted that there is one other possibility to
> consider. Zinc-64 is the most common isotope of zinc, and it is
> slightly radioactive !

I like this suggestion a lot. As 64Zn comprises nearly half of natural zinc,
it strikes me as more likely there would have been zinc impurity than that
there should be a surprisingly high relative fraction of 64Ni. If this is
what happened, I'm further surprised that Parkhamov didn't catch something
so obvious (with hindsight and/or skill).

I'm going to further wager that there was a high degree of measurement
uncertainty, obscuring a change that was minor or not at all in this case.

Eric