Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> However, that stance is an extreme minority view: that Rossi can be both
> con-artist-deluxe and misunderstood genius inventor, at the same time.

If that's a minority view, people need to study history. Many inventors
have fit that description. Thomas Edison and Steve Jobs are famous examples.

> Six years ago, before his almost complete disregard for the truth was
> exposed, we labeled Rossi as the “most interesting man in the world” and
> that descriptor has a little more mileage on it . . .

I was one of the people called him that. (Based on the Don Equis beer ads.)
I still think he is one of the most interesting men in the world. But I
knew he was prone to exaggeration and contradiction right from the start.
Here at Vortex in 2011 we compiled a list of his statements. We found many
examples of contradictory statements.

Let me append that list to this message. It is a stroll down memory lane.
You can see that Rossi has never been a reliable source of information.
That does not necessarily mean he is lying. Some people with wild and vivid
imaginations are this way. You might say they are crazy, or you might say
they are creative. I cannot tell the difference.

- Jed

NOTES ON ROSSI DEVICE

Compiled in 2011 by people on Vortex

This list is not comprehensive. These are items I thought are significant.

Sources are sometimes shown in parentheses after the item. SL = Shirakawa
List, Focardi = Focardi radio interview, April 5, 2011, Essen and Kullander
= report published in NyTeknik, 4/3/2011

Some items are marked “CONTRADICTION” at the end, where two or more
statements appear to contradict one another.

To avoid confusion, the term “turn off” here refers to turning on or off
the resistance heaters used to control the reactor. “Quench” means stop the
reaction itself.

There may be important comments in Italian in SL that I do not understand.

Calorimetry is not addressed in detail here, since it has been discussed
elsewhere.

All statements by Rossi and Focardi are reported here, regardless of
whether I or others suspect they may not be true.

Questions from me are shown in square brackets.

DEVICE CHARACTERISTICS

The volume of the 15 kW reactor cell is about 1 liter. The smaller 4 kW
reactor cell volume is ~50 ml.

During the Feb. 10 test, the 15 kW reactor was operated for about “a while”
at ~130 kW (Levi). (It might have been ~18 minutes – source lost.)

Smaller devices are safer to operate.

The 1 MW (thermal) device will be made of many smaller ones ganged
together. It was originally planned to be made up of 50 modules of 20 kW
each (Rossi, 3/26/2010), then later ~130 10 kW units, where 30 were held in
standby to replace or augment older ones as the power decreased. As of
April 2011 they now plan to use ~300 units.

Power density for a module as a whole, including the container, is 1 W/cm3.
(Rossi, 3/28/2010)

These cells (“modules” - Rossi) are designed to be connected in series and
in parallel. (SL)

Maintenance and operation is similar to that of a conventional boiler. (SL
“normal boiler” comment)

A 20 kW module has a volume of 20 L and weighs 30 kg. (Rossi, 3/26/2010)

The minimum power of the e-Cat reactor unit is presently 2.5 kW, with the
present design and engineering. Smaller units may be engineered in the
future.

These cells are made of stainless steel. In the mini-Rossi unit, the
stainless steel cells are inside a larger copper pipe. Cooling water flows
around the walls of the cell.

The device does not produce gamma rays except for a slight increase over
background (Rossi, SL) The device produced a large burst of gamma rays when
it started up. (Celani) CONTRADICTION

The device produces 100 keV and 300 keV particles. (Rossi, NyTeknik,
3/18/2011)

There is no ionizing radiation detected outside the reactor. (6/13/2010)

The device produces no radioactive nuclear ash. At least, no radioactive
nuclear ash is found the day after the machine is operated (Rossi,
NyTeknik, 3/18/2011). There may be intermediate radioactive products during
operation.  “We are not able to know which instable atoms are produced
DURING the operation of the reactor, but we can analyze the composition of
the powders left AFTER the operations: in such powders we do not find
instable elements.” (SL)

The device requires 1-cm thick lead shielding, presumably for safety. It
was designed by Focardi. (6/13/2010).

The control box contains 5 simple PLCs controlling the resistance heaters,
and weighs ~7 kg. (Levi)

DEVICE OPERATING PROCEDURES

Minimal operating temperature is 400°C. (SL)

The optimal operating temperature is 600°C. (Source unknown)

 H gas pressure in the cell is 25 bar (~360 psi) (Essen and Kullander)

The effect is triggered with resistance heaters. There are five in the 15
kW device.

The reaction is modulated with the resistance heaters.

The resistance heaters are used at high power to trigger the reaction, then
power is reduced to maintain the reaction. In the Feb. 10 test, 1000 W
triggered the reaction, and 80 W maintained it.

The power can be regulated continuously, from “0 through 100%” by adjusting
the preheating input. (Rossi, 4/16/2011)

Hydrogen pressure may also play a role regulating power. See Unanswered
Questions (below).

The reaction can be made self-sustaining with the resistance heaters turned
off. This was done in a preliminary test with U. Bologna professors. (SL)
However, this mode is not recommended because it is unsafe and it is
difficult to quench the reaction. There is a “risk of explosions” (SL). The
device is inherently safe; “if you violate [safety rules] the reactor
[quenches].” (SL) CONTRADICTION

To ensure safety, Rossi prefers the control electronics be externally
powered rather than powered by the device itself with a thermoelectric or a
steam turbine generator.

The input output ratio has been as high as 200 in recent tests; 80 W in 16
kW out, sustained, and it went over 1600 during the 130 kW burst. The ratio
is “always over 6” (SL). (Footnote. I do not think the input/output ratio
is meaningful for this device – Rothwell)

The device will need maintenance and new nickel catalyst every six months.

Picograms of Ni and H are consumed (SL)

There are 100 g of nickel in the larger cell. There are “several
milligrams” of Ni in the larger cell but “not all of the nickel in the
reactor reacts.” (SL) [Could this mean nuclear active material?]

The actual consumption to make 10 kW is about 0.1 g of nickel and 0.01 g of
hydrogen per hour. This is the “mass of Ni that you need in the reactor”
but not all of this actually reacts. “The efficiency is very low, due to
the probabilistic issue.”  (SL).

The Ni lattice can be disrupted to a certain extent. (SL: “Does the
integrity of the Ni lattice have to be maintained ? do damage, disruption,
and melting impede the results? No, it is not necessary within certain
limits.”)

The effect can be quenched with the following methods:

Where hydrogen is injected with electrolysis, stop electrolysis to cut off
the supply of hydrogen. (Focardi)

De-gas the cell.

Increase the flow rate to cool the catalyst. (This may have to be done
quickly, to induce a thermal shock – Rothwell)

A small percentage (2% to 3%) of deuterium will quench the reaction.

Piantelli reported that he used N to stop a runaway reaction with his bulk
Ni-H device. Rossi says he has not tried this.

NICKEL CATALYST CHARACTERISTICS

The catalyst consists of nickel and two other elements.

The other elements are not copper, iron or a precious metal. It is not a
gas inserted along with the H. (No copper, 7/2/2010)

The catalyst is not radioactive.

The catalyst is not expensive.

The catalyst is not Raney Nickel

The additional element is not in gas phase.

The Ni processing system increases the cost of Ni by ~10%.

Much of the Ni transmutes to Cu during the reaction.

The Cu has slightly unnatural isotopic ratios. (Rossi) The Cu ratios are
natural. (Essen) CONTRADICTION

Fe appears in the Ni catalyst whether from transmutation or contamination
is not clear.

The Ni isotopes in the starting material are enriched, by some
revolutionary technique that costs little. (Rossi, 4/8/2011) “We use
regular Ni, so the isotopic composition is the normal one.” (Rossi, SL) “We
use Ni in its isotopic composition natural.” (Rossi, 6/20/2010) The Ni
isotopes are normal, not enriched. (Essen) CONTRADICTION

Heat production changes the Ni isotopes, according to a study with SIMS at
U. Padua (7/2/2010)

“We think that all the Ni participates to the reactions, even if some
isotopes should be more efficient.” (7/14/2010) “[O]nly Ni 62 and 64
react.” (3/25/2011) CONTRADICTION

(Footnote. The Ni is called a “catalyst” but that may be a misnomer, since
in other cold fusion system it is not used up. Rothwell)

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Rossi will not address the following issues:

The identity of the two elements added to the nickel.

operating level (SL)

The reasons self-sustaining operation is difficult and dangerous "are very
difficult to explain without violating my confidentiality restraints."

“We give [no] information about what is in the reactor beside Ni, H” (SL)
(Not true!)

Q: Do you control the rate of energy production by adjusting hydrogen
pressure? A: Actually, it is more complex. You are asking confidential
issues. Sorry. (Rossi, 2/16/2010)

Q: Is the reaction primarily surface or bulk? A: That is an “industrial
secret.” (8/30/2010)

MISCELLANEOUS

Assembling the cell and working with the nickel catalysts is dangerous and
requires expertise.

Rossi does not have a precise theory but he has empirical data. The only
thing he knows for sure is the amount of mass loss per unit of energy. (SL)

The RH meter in the Jan. 14 test was a Delta Ohm HD 37AB1347. Reader
comment: “The sensor is based on capacitance, which should provide a good
measure of the amount of water present.” (SL)

Regarding the wet versus dry steam controversy in the Jan. 14 test: “When
we run the reactor with water, not steam, the measured power is the same as
when we produce steam and I deem this is the proof of the correct
measurement made with steam. We made many tests with water and the
operation with steam has just confirmed the same efficiency.” (SL)

Not related to Mills. “My method and technology is not at all related with
[Mills]. If you read my patent (go to
http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com and click on Patent) and the
description of the method you mentioned, there is no relationship at all.”
(SL)

Temperatures in the cell range from 150°C - 5000°C. (Rossi agrees he said
this previously 2/10/2011) This has to be a misunderstanding. Ni melts at
1453°C.

Standard module consumed 500 W control current and produced 4 kW in 2010.
(7/14/2010)

Over the course of development, 37 devices have “blown up.” (Rossi,
4/23/2011)