The misconception that something mysterious is going on in the hydrogen
torch results from William Lyne's book "Occult Ether Physics".  However,
this one sentence tells precisely why Lyne is wrong.  Do you see it?  (the
ans. is here  https://goo.gl/mwohke )

*It seemed odd to me that it was later suggested that the 103 calories of
dissociation energy absorbed from a very brief exposure to the arc is the
same heat as that "...required for welding" as described, and I believed it
to be more reasonable that the excess heat had to come from "elsewhere".
The dissociation energy would be analogical to a slice of bread (@4 cal.
gram), and the gross output would be equivalent to 60 loaves of bread
(@1814 cal. lb.), calorie-wise. There was too much disparity between the
two, with plenty of suspicious omissions and confusions, in an obvious
attempt to cover up the truth in between.*