Hi Robin

The neutron “hopping” modality is indeed one way that gain could happen.

In fact you are probably referring to Hagelstein’s 1993 paper where he
introduces this concept wrt palladium.

I do not think he was envisioning iron as the active metal at that time.

Perhaps he will be reminded of this possibility.

I like it but it also demands that the 2.4 MeV gamma is attenuated via the
down-conversion aspect – so there are two miracles involved.

… or do you get both miracles for the price of one when you have up and down
conversion together <g> ???

Hi,

57Fe+57Fe => 58Fe + 56Fe + 2.399 MeV