Hi,
[snip]

>Nigel
>
>With water, there is the phenomenon of “proton hopping” even without
>cavitation.
>
>The Hagelstein paper you cite proposes a neutron analog of electron hopping in
>semiconductors. This means that there are two natural phenomena on which to
>model neutron hopping.
>
>Protons hop from one water molecule to another naturally and consequently the
>principle of proton mobility in water has been known for 200 years ... now
>called the Grotthuss mechanism – but all attempts to split water more
>efficiently by using it have failed. It is a very fast mechanism and
>apparently recombination is too rapid to make it useful.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grotthuss_mechanism

I don't think this actually requires proton tunneling. Collisions between
molecules would suffice.

>But the Grotthuss mechanism could be understood to provide a closer analogy to
>neutron hopping, since the mass difference is small between the two, with the
>huge advantage of the neutron having no difficulty with the Coulomb barrier.

Neutrons don't have a problem with the Coulomb barrier, but they are much more
firmly bound to their nucleus than a proton is bound in a water molecule.

>Radiation in the range of 1-5 keV is surely evidence of some type of LENR but
>not cold fusion. It is too bad that the two are conflated.

It may not be evidence of some type of LENR. The shock wave would accelerate the
atoms/electrons of the plate, possible sufficient to create the effect directly.
BTW 1-5 keV is also what one might expect from a Hydrino reaction. UV could
excite the electrons ;)
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk