Here is Veritasium doing his own version Eric Laithwaite's demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeyDf4ooPdo
There might be something special about rotational motion but I think
conventional physics explains this particular situtation quite well.

In my own research I noticed something unsual from a purely mathemtical
standpoint concerning the geometric relationship between a ring and a
horizontal surface.
If the ring lays flat on the surface, then as long as the motions involved
are relatively slow, the relative motion between any point of contact
between the ring and the surface is the same whether or not the ring is
sliding uniformly over the surface (system A) or if the surface is rotating
underneath the ring (system B).

See this diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Abi_9FUReRGNKL65zggAKk4TN812cO3Y/view?usp=sharing

If my mathematical analysis is incorrect it would be nice to know.

harry