From: H LV<mailto:hveeder...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:32 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com<mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: CONCEPTS OF TIME--

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 5:14 PM <mix...@bigpond.com<mailto:mix...@bigpond.com>>
wrote:

Note that our perception of the flow of time and even our measurement of it is
based on processes which may vary in
speed. IOW if the fabric of space time changes, e.g. in a gravitational field,
then the processes upon which our clocks
are based may speed up or slow down, but this doesn't *necessarily* imply that
time itself is flowing faster or slower.
It may be, but we have no object means of telling the difference. IOW our
temporal "yardstick" may change in length in
some situations. A clock can run fast or slow without the actual passage of
time changing.

I agree.  For example an increase in ambient temperature can change the period
of pendulum clock by increasing the length the swing arm. However, we don't say
time slows down just because it got warmer. In the 18th century pendulums were
designed so as not to be affected
by temperature. Although we can't block the affects of gravity on a clock, we
can make sure a clock at the surface of the Earth keeps the same time as a
clock in deep space by systematically adding time to the measured time on Earth.

Harry