----- Original Message ----- From: "Frederick Sparber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 1:27 PM

- Grounded photo-cathode at the bottom of the tube

The S1 (Cs-CsO- on Ag) Photoemissive surface is the one with the
photon peaks at ~ 330 and ~ 800 nanometers with a threshold of about 1254
nm (1.0 eV IR)
Cr YAG Laser?

http://ssd-rd.web.cern.ch/ssd-rd/Pad_HPD/Principle/photocathodes.htm

0.1 eV electrons have a velocity  v = (0.1* 2*1.6e-19/9.1e-31)^1/2 =
1.875e5 meters/sec!

Checked/agreed. That's 10.66 µs for a 2m flight, quite a comfortable thing to measure.

Electron space charge will act as a "velocity filter" that allows the
higher energy electrons
out,

Agreed, thats' a good thing since we are only interested in the fastest electrons: they are the only one whose initial velocity we know for sure.

but if there is a repulsive gravity force F(gr) = m*g = = 9.1e-31*9.8
=  8.9e-30 newtons on an electron
and the restraining electric field (E volts/meter)
force F(e) = E*q = 1.6e-19 newtons at E = 1.0 volt/meter, there is a
problem. :-)

What, which restraining electric field, where ???

- Grounded grid at the top of the tube (so tube is fieldless)

Sounds like a Faraday cup approach, Michel.

A Faraday saucer actually (not a joke this time, the positive collecting plate wouldn't be hollow)

- Plate above the grid connected to positive terminal of a low voltage
power
supply whose negative terminal is grounded.

Time of flight would be time between laser flash and power supply current
pulse wouldn't it?

Yes.  But the ~ 5 microseconds/meter 0.1 eV electrons get there ahead of
the  S - 0.5 * a* t^2 ~  = 3.0e-10 meters gravity repelled electrons
traveled.

Please explain.

OTOH. if you light pulse it and wait for the "slowpokes" ?

No, as I said we wouldn't know their initial velocity.

Michel

Fred
Michel

P.S. Nice applet indeed!
P.P.S. No I know nothing about vacuum tubes (was born in 57)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frederick Sparber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>