At 02:48 pm 15/06/2006 -0400, Jed wrote:

> There is no energy input as far as I can tell from the descriptions.
> You cannot continuously extract energy from permanent magnets any
> more than you can from a spring.

A classic spring is assumed to be perfectly elastic so cycling it
encloses no energy area. However, perfect elasticity is a theoretical
ideal not found in the real world. All really cycling encloses some
energy and depending on which way round you travel (cf Carnot) you
can loose energy to the environment or gain energy from the
environment (heat pump). There's plenty of energy out there for the
asking if you're clever enough to tap it.

Frank