At 05:24 pm 15/06/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Grimer wrote:
>
>>A classic spring is assumed to be perfectly elastic so cycling it
>>encloses no energy area. However, perfect elasticity is a
>>theoretical ideal not found in the real world.
>
>I mentioned this in my second message. Also, as far as I know all
>permanent magnets eventually become de-magnetized with repeated
>cycles of pressing them together and releasing. They get warm, I believe.
>
>- Jed

Absolutely - And if one really understood what was going on,
and could go round the hysteresis curve in the opposite
direction then one would have a magnetic energy pump.

We can do it at the thermal level. Why should we not be able
to do it at the magnetic level. Couldn't it be that no one
has yet worked out exactly how to bell the cat - or has the
Great Maxwell promulgated a Law of the Medes and Persians?

Frank