From: Horace Heffner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:44:39 AM
Subject: Re: [VO]: Economic models

On Nov 17, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Nick Palmer wrote:

> Philip Winestone ranted
> <<The main problem, as I believe we all know, is that the "green
> crowd" don't want us burning ANYTHING, so the proposal to dig up
> coal and use if for ANYTHING will be met with fierce resistance,
> mostly by bigmouths.>>
>
> See the very latest report from the IPCC released a day or so ago.
> The scientists are feeling more free to speak almost the full truth
> now that the politically inspired (translation: insane stupidity)
> watering down and sabotage is weakening.  Fear for your future.
> Consider who the truly smart people are - those like you who keep
> on coming out with an irresponsible, irrational viewpoint decades
> after the clever people realised the forthcoming problems and the
> obvious solutions and let the rest of the world know. I really have
> had it up to here with this public display of intransigence,
> obstructionism and inability to realise who is at fault.

While I probably agree with many of your viewpoints, I find your
attitude with regard to free speech troubling.

> BTW, I sent the uncensored version of this posting directly to
> Winestone - it was rather a lot stronger...

I think we ought to see this email.  Bullying emails attempting to
squelch free speech, if that is indeed the kind that was sent to
Philip Winestone, are not something that should not be either kept
quiet or tolerated.

On Nov 17, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Nick Palmer wrote:
> Whether you turn coal into syngas or methanol or whatever, you are
> still desequestrating fossil carbon. If you think this is a good
> idea then you don't understand the situation. If you don't
> understand the situation we are in, it is your duty to humanity to
> shut up!

Discussion of these issues is the only way consensus building can
ever occur.  Though my personal preference is to discuss how to solve
energy issues, rather than why, it strikes me as both on topic and
useful for those who wish to engage in discussions of energy policy
to do so freely.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/