On Jan 3, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Edmund Storms wrote:

Horace Heffner wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Time seems to be in short supply of late.
On Jan 2, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Edmund Storms wrote:
Jones, the Widom-Larsen theory is not only inconsistent with normal physics but it is also inconsistent with what has been observed in cold fusion.

It makes the following unsupported assumptions:

1. Energy can be transferred to an electron from a low energy environment causing the mass of the electron to increase. This requires energy to go uphill and this process has never before been observed in normal physics.
I think electrons can gain energies (with some finite probability of a very high energy state that is) from environmental (i.e. chemical) conditions. Orbital electrons can gain energy from the environment through orbital modifying mechanisms. Electrons gain mass from increased velocity, i.e. m = m0*gamma. Relativistic orbitals do exist, where gamma is significant. Not all orbitals, even proton orbitals, are spherically symmetric near the nucleus, as we typically visualize them, with probability density being smaller the closer to the nucleus. In some molecules, or even lone hydrogen atoms, orbital states can exist in which the electron plunges deep toward, and periodically (or with some probability), even into the nucleus. It is only by virtue of the fact orbital electrons can and do enter the nucleus that electron capture occurs. Further, the electron capture rate for heavy nuclei has been demonstrated to be affected by the chemical (electron orbital) environment. Chemically assisted nuclear reactions are a proven reality. See: Ohtsuki et al., “Enhanced Electron-Capture Decay Rate of 7Be Encapsulated in
C60 Cages”, Physical Review Letters, 10, September 2004
Ohtsuki et al.,“Radioactive Decay Speedup at T=5 K: Electron- Capture Decay
Rate of 7Be Encapsulated in C60”,Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 252501 (2007)

The Larsen-Widom mechanism requires the electrons gain mass without gaining velocity. If the energy is supplied by velocity, the resulting neutrons will not be subthermal.

I am not familiar with the WL theory, nor do I see the relevance of subthermal (and I assume free) electrons, except maybe that Jones referred to subthermal neutrons. My remarks here are directed only at your comment: "Energy can be transferred to an electron from a low energy environment causing the mass of the electron to increase. This requires energy to go uphill and this process has never before been observed in normal physics."

Besides the electron has to be on a collision course toward a proton, which is not possible if it gets its energy from being in an orbit.

This is simply not true. Orbitals as well as conduction bands can be highly modified by their environment. Magnetic fields, electrostatic fields, and molecular structure, and ionization states can all create deep plunging orbitals where the probability of electron locating in the nucleus is orders of magnitude increased. Rydberg orbitals, for example, involving excited state electrons, contain electrons that exhibit non-wavelike behavior when remote to the nucleus, and then plunge deep toward the nucleus. Rydberg oritals can be induced or enhanced by powerfull magnetic fields as well as EM stimulation. Similar orbitals can be formed through electrostatic stimulation. With regard to nucleus plunging orbitals, there are huge numbers of such configurations even in unstressed molecules. For example see:

http://tinyurl.com/2thgs7

and be sure to note: "Warning! If you aren't happy with describing electron arrangements in s and p notation, and with the shapes of s and p orbitals, you really should read about orbitals." and click on the word "orbitals" in that text, which is shown in green.

In the environment of a fully loaded lattice, electrons ionically bound to the adsorbed nuclei exist in partial orbital state, have a dual existence as conduction band electrons and orbital electrons, because there is insufficient space for orbital formation. Further, the thermal environment stresses and perturbs the orbitals, providing even more opportunities for deep plunging excursions for electrons.

Electron capture only involves a complex nucleus. It happens when the gain of an electron results in a lower energy for the entire system. When a proton gains an electron, energy is increased, not reduced. Therefore, this is not the same as the EC process.

2. This electron can react with a proton to make a neutron.

The electron gains mass only by acquiring kinetic energy. As far as I know, the electron is not believed to contain internal energy states that would allow it to store energy as mass. The rare occasion when energetic electrons are found to react, the rate is very low.
The reaction rate of electrons with hadrons is low because they are weak reactions, and typically require the interaction of a neutrino, or manufacture of a neutrino pair from the vacuum. Creation of a state that can spawn electron capture thus requires a condition in which that state can exist for long periods (long from a nuclear perspective). It may well be possible an island of feasibility exists in which the de Broglie wavelength of the electron is small enough to avoid field overlap, and the energy of magnetic binding plus Coulomb binding are sufficient to overcome the centrifugal force. For the proton see:
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/DeflateP1.pdf
For the deuteron see:
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/FusionSpreadDualRel.pdf
This provides some interesting possibilities. (1) If electron radiation can occur from this state then the electron becomes energetically trapped, plus the energy so radiated is free energy and beyond chemical energy. (2) If electron radiation can not occur from this state, then the state is quasi-stable. (3) If the state is quasi-stable, then the entity can act like a neutron (or di-neutron in the case of deuterium) for purposes of overcoming the Coulomb barrier because the binding energy can even exceed the energy of fusion. The problem is determining the mechanism by which an electron can enter into (i.e. tunnel into) this very small state. While this is a problem, it is not a serious problem in that electron capture presents exactly the same problem. If it is assumed the electron actually is comprised of one or more highly flexible and expandable strings, then it is not so difficult to imagine how such tunneling mechanisms, or even ordinary ones, might exist. What is most interesting is the fact the EM fields of the nucleus plus electron are capable of creating enormously energetic states, states so energetic that their relativistic masses exceed the rest masses of the particles themselves. This, however, is due to the fact particles are point like, or at least string like, but with wave- like characteristics. If charged particles can be arbitrarily small, then they can carry an arbitrarily large amount of energy when opposed charge particles interact. Coulomb binding energy goes to infinity as the particle separation distance becomes small. The vacuum's bank of energy appears to be extremely large, though not infinite because it is constrained by the Planck scale. Obtaining some is apparently just a matter of learning how to make transactions at the bank's window.

If such reactions are possible, why have they not been detected when people have studied electron behavior in the past?

Oddly, the same argument applies to cold fusion itself. 8^)

I went to much effort explaining exactly that in:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/DeflationFusion.pdf

Apparently my effort was unsuccessful. The quick answer to the question is that the deflated state, though very common (i.e. has a high frequency of existence in some environments, including in ordinary water) is a degenerate state, i.e. a state that can be hopped into and out of from a normal orbital state because such hops are energy neutral. It is *not* a state that taps energy by itself. It is only through interaction with another nucleus that the deflated state provides useable energy, primarily by the other nucleus tunneling to the approximate locus of the deflated state. Further, the deflated state, though highly energetic, exists for such brief periods that it can't even be detected without attosecond sensitive experiments. Further, this state exists with such brevity that is has no significant effect on hot fusion with regard to overcoming the Coulomb barrier kinetically. What is required to tap energy is the high density, high orbital stressing, high tunneling environment of a lattice. (BTW, the orbital stressing may also be provided by medium energy gas-solid collisions, provided the surface is sufficiently loaded.) Even most CF experiments do not provide a high tunneling rate *combined* with high loading. As high loading is achieved the tunneling rate declines because adsorption declines. It takes engineering to achieve both I think, and special materials management to achieve practical results.

Beyond all this, there may be a chance for a longer bound entity. I just don't know, but the calculations I provided in this thread earlier seem to support the possibility. It is not necessary to my theory though. It might help explain some theories or observations of others though, so I mentioned it here with regards to neutron like entities.

I think it is unlikely such reactions only occur in an electrolytic cell and then are revealed only by producing transmutation. If such reactions are possible, there are better ways to prove their reality, which surely would have been used in the many noncold- fusion studies.

3. This neutron reacts with elements in the environment causing isotopic shift without producing radioactive products.

Many of the required isotopes are radioactive with a half life that is easy to detect. They are not observed.
I certainly agree that this is a major flaw in the W-L theory. However, it is not a flaw with the theory I present here:
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/DeflationFusionExp.pdf
On the contrary, I show that reaction with the very small deflated state hydrogen can account for the mysterious fusion branching ratio by initially eliminating all the normal D + D -> He fusion energy. The resulting heat energy which eventually evolves is merely the vacuum bank paying it back in small photon withdrawals from a small radiating electron left in the fused nucleus.
BTW, is there any W-L theory document available on the web?

The papers are all available on arXiv:cond-mat.

4. The isotopic distribution agrees with the distribution reported by Miley.

The claimed agreement is poor at best.
Yes, there are thus probably very few genuine neutrons produced in the process. Some other species is required to explain the events.

These are the facts. Of course, it is possible to ignore the facts or be unaware of the conflict with observation. Nevertheless, I find it strange that a theory containing so many flaws in logic and conflict with observation would be considered. Apparently, this shows the desperation theoreticians have been reduced to.
I think the facts are indeed inexplicable with existing conventional theory.

I have no complaint about discussing theories based on imagination. However, they should at least be logical and consistent with all observation, not just those that support the idea. It is even possible that more than one mechanism is operating and more than one nuclear path is followed. Nevertheless, I suggest it is a waste of time making arbitrary assumptions unless these have strong support. Otherwise, this is just a game of whose imagination and salesmanship is better.

All true, except that even a half baked proto-theory, if approximately on the right track, might provide enough of a starting point on which to build a realistic theory. Consider the Bohr model of the atom for example. Bohr was not right, but he provided a good starting point for Schrödinger, etc.

True, but the idea has to be at least in the ball park. At the time of your example, many other ideas were way out of the ball park and were never heard of again.

Yes and many theories or even observations, right or wrong, are rejected immediately upon reading the first few sentences because they violate established beliefs.

Horace