Horace Heffner wrote:

snip

We can debate all day about what the arrangement of electrons looks like and how they might in theory behave. Nevertheless, if electrons can in fact gain the required 0.78 MeV from their surroundings to make a neutron, why is this process not detected?

There is in fact much more than 0.78 MeV feasibly available from electron-nucleus interaction, so energy is not the issue.

Horave, the energy is the issue! A free neutron, as W-L propose, can only be made by an electron adding to a proton. This takes energy. This energy must be available at the time the neutron is formed, not later when the neutron might react with a nucleus. Therefore, it must be accumulated from the environment and added to the electron. I'm saying that no mechanism exists, other than imagination, that can make this happen. If it were to happen, many chemical effects would be produced by the energetic electron long before a neutron was produced. Such effects are NOT observed.

The main
issue is time. Making a neutron requires a weak reaction and the availability of a neutrino. Such a reaction would be highly improbable to observe because it would have a huge half-life. Further, the radius of the particle I computed would likely preclude a neutrino-proton-electron reaction. Further I am not advocating for neutron formation as being possible or even the creation of a more than attosecond order "neutron like" deflated state as even being likely. What I have said is there is a *possibility* of a "neutron like entity" being created, and "there may be a chance for a longer bound entity. I just don't know, but the calculations I provided in this thread earlier seem to support the possibility." Such an entity represents a major energy deficit to a fusion reaction though, as I explained in my theory, and would be unlikely to be detected at all by nuclear physicists or anyone looking for nuclear reaction signatures. My main point though was not that such things exist, but rather that your argument for their non-existence does not hold water. Other arguments may.

What argument would you think would hold more water?

Do you know of any experimental observations, other than EC, that would support this idea? That is the issue of this discussion.

Sorry that I did not make clear earlier my reasons for mentioning EC. I did not intend to imply EC was relevant at all to making an actual neutron from a proton. EC clearly demonstrates (a) the ability of an orbital electron to enter into and stay in the nucleus, (2) the energy level of the electron must be appropriate to its proximity to the nucleus and thus on the order of MeV, a relativistic energy, and (3) the de Broglie wavelength of the electron is not an issue in preventing it from entering the nucleus. I think that further provides evidence that, since nuclear transit events at light speed should occur with very short durations, they must necessarily occur with great frequency in order to make EC feasible and observable. Another way to state that common sense notion is that (4) the wave function must provide for a high probability of observing the orbital electron in the nucleus.

I have no problem believing that the electron wave function must somehow involve the nucleus so that when the nucleus finds that addition of an electron results in a lower energy, the electron can be sucked in. However, this process does not always occur when addition of an electron would result in lower energy. Therefore, other factors must operate. But, this is not the issue of this discussion.

The additional experimental evidence required is:

"A Water Molecule's Chemical Formula is Really Not H2O”,Physics News Update, Number 648 #1, July 31, 2003 by Phil Schewe, James Riordon, and Ben Stein,
http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/648-1.html

This I think confirms the notion that a very brief nuclear bound state exists between the electron and proton even in water. Water examined on an attosecond scale is not H2O but actually H1.5O, despite the fact it reacts in all chemical reactions as H2O. Some of the hydrogen is thus frequently, but very briefly hidden. A brief electron-proton bound state is a very sensible explanation as to how the protons can disappear to an incident neutron beam. I do not think this is evidence of formation of a neutron. On the contrary, I think it is evidence of a fairly high probability non-radiating degenerate state for the orbital electron. I don't know of any way to detect such a state except by means similar to those used in the above experiment. However, I think CF provides further evidence to the existence of such a state. More to the point of this thread, it provides some evidence that a *neutron-like* entity with half life more than a few attoseconds might be formed by orbital electrons in the right circumstances.

The fact that some of the H in H2O appears hidden from certain methods of examination means nothing because there are many ways this can be "explained" in purely chemical terms. In the real world, H2O acts like H2O. The rest is only speculation and has nothing to do with the present issue.

 snip

If such reactions are possible, why have they not been detected when people have studied electron behavior in the past?

Oddly, the same argument applies to cold fusion itself. 8^)

No, this argument does not apply to cold fusion. Hundreds of examples of the claimed behavior have been reported. The only problem has been the difficulty in making the effects happen whenever we wish. Even this is no longer the case in the right hands.

Well, yes, you and I can see that. However, there are still probably thousands of technical people who would make the argument. It would not be valid even though the makers of the argument would assume it were because their experience and training tell them it is impossible.

Frankly, I've given up caring what the ignorant think. True, they can cause great harm when they get elected to public office. Nevertheless, this discussion is not with the ignorant.

snip

I understand your proposed mechanism. The question I'm asking is there any evidence that such a mechanism actually occurs outside of its proposed application to CF? The mechanism of Mills is somewhat similar to the basic idea of a collapsed atom. Would you consider his mechanism related to yours?

There are some general relations. I have not followed Mills for some years, but I discussed some of my concerns here:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/PhotonMills.pdf

His mechanism does not appear related except in the most general terms. He is suggesting a comparatively large stable state entity with comparatively low binding energy, and which requires a very specific energy release as part of its process of forming. He has nto considered magenic components of the binding energy AFAIK. I am suggesting an attosecond order duration degenerate form of existence for the deflated state. I also here suggested there may be some *possibility* that a longer lived (similar to the Dufour hydrex, but more like I spelled out in the provided computations) like state might be created in the right circumstances, possibly due to a photon emission from the deflated state.

The attractive feature of the Mills model is the essential presence of a catalyst. This explains why the process is rare and why it can be made to occur under certain special conditions. How does you model address these issues?

If so, would you expect to observe the same behavior as he reports?

I don't see that anything I suggested would create special long lived chemicals like Mills reports, or even special molecular spectra. However, special molecules might be very useful in creating a high probability deflated state in handy places and thus catalyzing fusion. I think there is huge difference in concepts there though. I don't know what effects might be observed in plasma mode, but I would not expect it to be long lasting because the orbital deformations would be brief. Gas-metal collisions would be a very different thing though, assuming the metal surface can adsorb hydrogen at least a few molecules in depth.

Your proposed state needs to last long enough to enter into reactions in excess of 10^12 events/sec if it intends to produce the observations. This seems like a significant lifetime.

Beyond all this, there may be a chance for a longer bound entity. I just don't know, but the calculations I provided in this thread earlier seem to support the possibility. It is not necessary to my theory though. It might help explain some theories or observations of others though, so I mentioned it here with regards to neutron like entities.

Are you proposing that your collapse mechanism can actually result in formation of a neutron?

No.

Good.

Mills does not propose this is possible using his mechanism.

Well, we agree on something!  8^)

However, he does propose that a proton or a deuteron can enter the nucleus. Such reactions are much more consistent with observation than neutron addition. Can your mechanism do this?

snip

Ed

Horace