<<Nick, I think we can see that the deteriorating financial situation in
Britain could create irrational behavior there as well. However, is it
focused on religion being the solution as it is in the US? Do the
Brits expect God to save them from their poor decisions?

Umm, tricky question. Britain is such a multiracial, multicultural society nowadays that there is no average Brit anymore - just a whole group of people with different conflicting beliefs. With the exception of the fundamentalist Islamics, I don't think anyone seriously expects any God to ride over the hill like the US cavalry. Even the Christians, while still believing in the power of Jesus to redeem etc, cling on to a rather theoretical hope as far as an interventionist God is concerned. We never really had your rather weird religious/healing TV channels, although now they are available on satellite.

I think the Internet has made things worse now everyone can focus on totally immersing themselves in a topic with a narrow but concentrated range of psychological input. People are programming their perceptions by limiting their inputs to what they want to see - self brain-washing. The undoubted ability of the Internet to disseminate greater and more varied amounts of knowledge, to discerning types, than humans could ever access in the past is one thing. Much greater is the way people are using it to narrow their view and consolidate their (weak) positions by not seeing or ignoring the wider picture. The Internet, via forums and comment slots, allows people to see that there are thousands of other people who are brainwashed just like them and they feel strengthened in their position - as if somehow the fact that a lot of people believe the same as you makes your viewpoint automatically right or at least valid. This spread of an irrational way of looking at things is the true danger of modern communication. As political power comes from numbers of people believing the same stuff, I think we are in the early stages of the sort of unconscious, unquestioning "group think" that made the rise of the Third Reich so dangerous.

The only reassuring aspect at the moment is that there many different "groupthinks" with conflicting belief systems. If we're heading into a period where human irrationality is further amplified by our technology, the last thing the world needs is just one set of beliefs. With the US neo-con think tanks having successfully propagandised many people into disbelieving in science, the world today is more dangerous than it was.