Hi,
[snip]
>Note that I said: "I think this kind of fuel might best be used in
>external combustion engines, which are also easily made multi-fuel,
>even solid fueled."  One reason this is important is that silicon can
>be combusted with *zero* emissions. The water vapor is condensed and
>the SiO2 trapped by bubbling the emissions through the water. The
>SiO2 emissions are in the form of a powder, i.e. can be compacted
>into a solid.  Another reason is that silicon in solid form can be
>directly used as fuel.
>
>The article I referenced thought there would be a high economic value
>to the recovered SiO2, especially to the electronics industry.  See:

It might be simpler to react the SiHx with water first to produce SiO2
(precipitate), and Hydrogen gas. Then burn the Hydrogen in the engine, and avoid
the issue altogether.

The SiO2 would collect in the mixing tank and thus be easily reclaimed.

In the fuel density graph you referred to, the most commonly used fuels lie
roughly along a diagonal of the graph, i.e. they are a good compromise between
weight and volumetric density. The best one in that regard would appear to be
Lithium Borohydride, which could also be utilized in the manner just described
here above.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html