--- grok <g...@resist.ca> wrote:

> But the Mylow HoJoRotor is _exactly_ the kind of
> thing you can do in your
> garage -- or on the kitchen table, even. However,
> people are flat-out
> stating that the magnets are giving up their
> magnetic energy as they
> de-magnetize. If this be the case -- then there
> indeed 'no free lunch',
> as far as magnets are concerned. At least in this
> case.

I haven't read much about Johnson's motor, but I will
listen to the MP3 Esa provided a link to.

If (BIG if) the thing does work, I'd doubt the magnets
giving up their magnetization would provide enough
energy to keep the rotor spinning for any significant
length of time. It doesn't take much energy to
magnetize a chunk of ferrous material. If the thing
runs more than a few minutes, it would seem to rule
that out. Which would be a good thing.

I'm a bit leery of messing with magnetic motors, as I
remember the Greg Watson disaster from years back. But
what the hell? I'll give it a listen. Lord knows I got
enough magnets wandering around this place.......

--Kyle