While I agree with your basic point, I agree some things are best discussed in private with the people who are interested. I suggest if a a subject comes up that is not of general interest, the people who would like to explore the idea further make their wish known so that the discussion can move to private e-mail involving each interested person without having to get involved with another list or cause consternation to people who are not interested. How does this sound?

Ed