I suggest a public discussion stops when anyone objects. Following the objection, anyone who wishes to continue the discussion privately can make their wish known publicly. These people would be put on the cc of the private exchange. If no one makes such a request, the discussion stops. Of course, anyone would be free to contact the person who made the off-topic comment initially and continue the discussion by private e-mail, but without additional contributors. I'm sure this is done often, but I'm suggesting this method be acknowledged formally as a way to satisfy the requirements of the list.

Ed