On Jun 17, 2009, at 12:28 AM, John Berry wrote:

The alternate list however would not kill the current Vortex, Ok I'd go since I don't care for 99% but no one will miss me as I have tended to lurk 99% of the time.

THIS vortex will stay the same as it is essentially free of such content anyway and this content will get a chance to perhaps grow, at any rate it won't be necessarily swamped by the current excess of political and more conventional energy schemes.

And I think that though Grok was the catalyst for Bill's banning of politics he has made it very clear that he has the current ban in place as an attempt to reset this Vortex back to what it was originally meant to be, a Vort that he cares for. The alternative is not changing nothing rather the alternative is changing THIS Vort back to something like it's old era style Vort.

If change is necessary then changing this list is the superior thing to do because the present archives would then remain a useful tool. However, be careful what you ask for. Limiting posting to highly scientific content requires an anal amount of attention. The more moderating that occurs the less posting. Many highly moderated lists just die off. Vortex has survived *because* it is lightly moderated. Then there is the issue of just exactly *what* is sufficiently scientific discussion, *what* is sufficiently anomalous, and *who* decides. Should we complain every time a computationally handicapped post appears? If a post has no equations should the poster be chastised or banned? If a post demonstrates a woeful lack of knowledge of physics should the poster be slowly roasted over the fire of criticism? Just what *is* a viable standard? To what degree should content be valued over courtesy? Just how anal do we have to become?

Also the fact that freenrgy died out doesn't mean that Vortex- classic would, furthermore Vortex-Classic would not be suggestively limited to just free energy.

The principal limitation to the freenrg list was not the discussion of free energy, but rather that all discussion be centered on *experimentation,* specific experiments. That can mean a lot of work to keep involved.

I don't see a down side, what harm is there in giving such subjects some light, some breathing room?

I don't see the problem. All "such subjects" already have breathing room. If you want to post on a subject then post on the subject. If anyone has interest in contributing they will post on it. If not, then not. Where is the suppression? What's the big deal? If you want more moderating then you want *less* breathing room.

I feel tempted donate and it was Bill's suggestion so I don't thing money is an argument against it either.

Money is an issue for me, but time is even more of an issue. Before posting I wish people would ask themselves if their content has any prospect of changing the world for the better, or at least making the list a scientifically more interesting or productive place. A little common courtesy and respect for each other's time would go a long way toward keeping this list alive. What distinguishes this place from sci.physics or sci.physics.fusion *is* primarily courtesy and tolerance, followed by the focus on scientific anomalies and energy. Losing that just because people are too self indulgent to constrain their own posting would be a huge waste.

One thing I appreciate is that if anything anomalous develops the news will likely end up here and be visible in the noise. The more inclusive we are, the more members who find vortex worth subscribing to, the more likely that is true.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/