Using the DR-2112:

http://www.lorenz-messtechnik.de/english/products/torque_rotating_contactless.php

we measure it directly.

Mechanical energy generated per cycle is simply T Nm x 2 pi radians =
Joules output.  Electrical energy is measured using a digital scope to
generate CSV files for V & I vs T at 10k samples per sec.  We
calculate power using Excel to integrate and multiply.  Multiply times
the time the pulse is on per cycle to get Joules (Watt-seconds) input.

We have a 2 Nm version and a 100 Nm version of the Torque Sensor.
Really nice piece of work it is.

We have verified these measurements using DeProny brakes and also by
lifting weights.  Lifting weights is a really kewl way of measuring
mechanical energy.  We used a bucket with sand so that we could
precisely choose the amount of mass.  <g>

Terry