It has a strain gauge on the rotor and the distortion of the rotor
under load is transmitted via an ingenious system of digitizers and
transformers.  This is translated into a 5 VDC (max) signal
proportional to the torque.  You can feed it into one of the digital
scope channels and display the dynamic torque in addition to the V & I
input pulse information.

Damned thing has a microprocessor inside.  Not cheap, tho.

Terry