On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Terry Blanton wrote:

> Yes, overunity.com has thousands of such people.

In 1995, if you wanted to trigger a contemporary Amateur Science
revolution, you'd have the brilliant idea to perform a simple test: start
a website for amateur science, and another one for "crackpot" physics. Let
school kids find both.  Injected so early in www exponential growth, could
this have any significant impact?  And, would the two virii compete for
resources (would more people be interested in Scientific American project
articles?  Or in antigravity machines which never actually work?)  After
some years you'd see evidence for which tactic was the more effective:

  FE/Antigravity resembles less a meme than a conflageration which threatens
  to consume the entire online hobbyist community.

  Scientific American cancels "The Amateur Scientist"

Oops.

I hope all of that was going to happen anyway.  I miss SciAm "TAS."

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci