On Feb 24, 2010, at 7:04 PM, Horace Heffner wrote:

On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:58 PM, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:

From: Horace:

The site says "Wooww, the power at the OUTPUT is greatly increased
without significant change at the DC input.... ", yet there is no
effort made to measure input power, only current.

The above should say RMS current and RMS voltage, which is not necessarily the same thing as power.

It would make more
sense to get the I and V traces for the input coil.

It pretty obvious how the thing works.  The torus field, which
remains inside the torus, deflects the permanent magnet field away
from the torus, and thus the permanent magnet's field oscillates,
cutting back and forth across the secondary coil windings and
generating power there.

Can you clarify something for me, Horace. The conjecture that the field oscillates, as you state, cutting back and forth across the secondary coil windings... is intriguing, particularly since you seem to be saying the field is dynamically oscillating even though there are no moving parts. In layman's terms - what does that mean, particularly energy-wise. My prosaic thinking patterns keep wanting to envision MOVING magnets passing across coils of wire that in turn generate electricity. But nothing seems to be
physically moving in this configuration. I'm confused! /:-\

I haven't been following any of this so I should have kept quiet. Sorry if I duplicate what has been said. Also, I should have answered this more thoroughly, sorry. Transformer parts don't move, but they still get energy transferred from a primary to a secondary. They can be viewed as creating magnetic field line loops that cut through the secondary coils and then retreat, cutting the coil again. These field lines can be visualized as moving through the center of the transformer core - even though it has a low mu, in order to form the flux loop that goes through the core. Their density in the hole of the core is low so they have to move faster when traversing the hole in the core.

It appears the primary core in the video is small compared to the magnets. This means there is magnetic flux that extends out beyond the core and circles back to the south end of the permanent magnet stack, i.e. that does not go through the core. When the current is high in the primary coil, then only one "return leg" through the primary torus core is available, thus even more flux is diverted out into the space around the primary. To the degree the primary current plus permanent B field saturates the core then even more flux is diverted out into the nearby space. The nearby space is occupied by the primary.
.
.
The last sentence above should read: "The nearby space is occupied by the secondary."
.
.

As the primary current oscillates, the B field that projects into the secondary coil grows large to the side of the primary where the primary flux opposes it, and diminishes where the primary flux reinforces it, but then increases on that side if saturation occurs.

I just posted a drawing, Fig. 3, in a separate email that shows how the "ejected" flux cuts through the secondary coil. The alternating current in the primary ejects one side of the flux and then the other, cutting the secondary coils in the process.

It would be interesting to know how much power is being drawn by the LEDs.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/