The capacitor on your photo 2 is in parallel with the battery so it's
part of the converter's input supply. The capacitor in the operating
principles diagram of the wikipedia article is the converter's output
capacitor, which might as well not be there in steady state is there
is no load (once charged it just stays charged at a high voltage, and
the Boost's diode never conducts-- so the diode might as well not be
there either). So everything to the right of the switch in the boost
converter diagram could be removed in no load condition, that's why I
say the circuit operates like a Boost converter without a load. Which
explains why it steps up the input voltage, that's what Boost
converters do.

Michel