Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did the profs witness
> > the actual setup of the equipment?
>
> The story is that the profs set up and ran the entire demonstration.

That's what they told me. Celani said: "All the measurements were
made, INDEPENDENTLY, from a Researcher (and Technicians) of Bologna
University. Rossi made only supervision about key safety aspects." He did
not actually mention setting up, but other people have.

Anyway, the people who conducted the tests are writing up their work now.
You can see that I got some preliminary notes from them. So you will get the
story from them directly in a week or two. Have patience . . . say I, after
spending the weekend hounding and hassling these people for information.

I would like to point out how unlikely this "con-man" scenario is, for a
couple of compelling reasons I have not enumerated --

Rossi is a strange dude. He is determined to protect trade secrets. But he
knows that he cannot convince university profs. to do a test except on their
own terms. I know many profs, especially elderly ones who used to be
Presidents of the Chemical Society or the Indian AEC or what-have-you. Such
people NEVER take orders from anyone. They never agree to do anything except
on their own terms, with their own instruments and grad students and
colleagues. They never take anyone's word for anything. They use techniques
from 1943 even when electronic gadgets do it faster. They do not read
computer manuals or learn how to use Microsoft Word. They wrote the book on
measuring steam or OCV or neutrons, and they know that subject better than
anyone else on earth. (Or they think they do.) You can't get them to write a
memo, order lunch or tie their shoes except by methods they have fully
investigated, tested, and confirmed.

Reason two is pretty simple. Ask yourself, how likely is it that you
persuade a professor to walk into a room, look at a few instruments, and
say: "Hey, whaddya know! It works after all!  Ha! Cold fusion may seem to
violate theory and it is the biggest controversy in history. Dozens of
people who replicated it had their reputations trashed . . . But what the
hell, I'll just sign off on this and tell everyone in the audience here that
I am sure it works."

Do you really suppose that professors are unaware of academic politics and
the biggest death-match fight in the history of physics? I have met some
stupid professors, but two things they always know are academic politics and
who has the best parking space in the staff parking lot.