Mark,
        I think the danger is to the Casimir geometries in the synthetic
catalyst formed by the nano powders not to the people standing around the
equipment. I disagree with Ed Storms theory that this is first and foremost a
nuclear reaction but agree with his assessment regarding the narrow thermal
band that must be maintained to produce excess heat - very much like starting a
fire by blowing on an ember wrapped in kindling you got to get the flow just
right. The Rayney nickel confirmation  is almost certainly an example of
runaway and is growing whiskers or melting closed according to stiction force
as the metal overheats into a plastic state. (and why you must return the
powder to BLP for reactivation). The slow accumulation of excess heat in
Arata's work is probably starvation as the translated reactants slowly leach
out of the Casimir geometry and do so by disassociating and then reforming at
lesser fractional values proportional to whatever the current level of Casimir
suppression happens to be in the current surrounding geometry. In a runaway or
near runaway condition this can clearly lead to tunneling and nuclear reactions
but in the classic example of catalytic action it can also lead to repeated
chemical reactions occurring at a greatly accelerated rate. I think most people
would admit that catalytic action is the causative factor for reactions but
only a few individuals are willing to consider a chemical reverse reaction of
h2 - 2h1 fueled by change in Casimir force /super catalytic action (ashless) -
and I may stand totally alone in positing that the change in Casimir force /
change in vacuum energy density is actually relativistic. This relativistic
position based on Naudts theory of the hydrino as relativistic hydrogen results
in a remarkable condition where two nearby atoms can be nearly stationary
relative to each other but experiencing different equivalent accelerations. It
would also lend support to my posit that h1 can translate freely between these
different equivalent acceleration zones but the covalent bond of h2 would
oppose this translation resulting in an asymmetry -meaning the covalent bond in
a changing Casimir geometry could act as Maxwell's demon when near the
disassociation threshold.
Regards
Fran