On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

>  Why don't you find a piece of cheap, light styrofoam packing and see if it
>> will float over a boiling pot of water.
>>

> Extra question answered, free of charge. I won't bother trying it, because
> it won't float, because the steam coming off a pot of boiling water will
> probably be well under 5% wet.

But the steam has upward momentum. Enough power in the pot with the steam
going through a small enough hole, and you could float styrofoam. You can
float a ping pong ball with a hair drier, and it is more dense than air. (It
doesn't even have to be vertical, thanks to Bernoulli.) [And no, I'm not
saying the principle only existed after he identified it.]

> Craig seems to think that I consider wet steam a big problem here. I don't.
> I think the steam is probably no more than a few percent wet, by mass
> percentage, it's a huge red herring,

You've said this several times. But you have not supported it. Why can't the
steam be wet; i.e. a mist of droplets entrained in water vapor? Your idea of
a filled chimney with water "overflowing" makes no sense to me when you
think that steam many times more voluminous and/or faster has to get through
this standing water. Lazily bubbling through would not cut it.