At 05:42 PM 7/19/2011, Joshua Cude wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

Why don't you find a piece of cheap, light styrofoam packing and see if it will float over a boiling pot of water.

Extra question answered, free of charge. I won't bother trying it, because it won't float, because the steam coming off a pot of boiling water will probably be well under 5% wet.

But the steam has upward momentum. Enough power in the pot with the steam going through a small enough hole, and you could float styrofoam. You can float a ping pong ball with a hair drier, and it is more dense than air. (It doesn't even have to be vertical, thanks to Bernoulli.) [And no, I'm not saying the principle only existed after he identified it.]

Sure, if you sufficiently obstruct the flow, you could lift styrofoam easily. I was referring to a *piece* of styrofoam, presumably small. And the question was about bouyancy, not about flow. You can support a whole person with air flow, all you have to do is get the air flow running at roughly 90 mph, i.e., "terminal velocity." So?

Craig seems to think that I consider wet steam a big problem here. I don't. I think the steam is probably no more than a few percent wet, by mass percentage, it's a huge red herring,

You've said this several times. But you have not supported it. Why can't the steam be wet;

The steam is wet. that's why the question is a red herring! It's wet, but *probably* not "very wet," i.e., enough to have a major impact on energy calculations.

 i.e. a mist of droplets entrained in water vapor?

Wet steam is the norm, unless special measures are employed to stop that. It's not necessarily easy, and Rossi had no motive to even try.

Your idea of a filled chimney with water "overflowing" makes no sense to me when you think that steam many times more voluminous and/or faster has to get through this standing water. Lazily bubbling through would not cut it.

Okay, Joshua, apparently I need to explain this to you, too.

The E-cat starts with water running through, the entire pumped flow is running out the hose. It's turned on and the water starts to heat. What happens? First of all, what's happening before boiling starts? Here is my thinking: water is at the level of the opening to the outlet hose, so it is spilling into the hose. There is air above the water, initially. The opening to the hose never fills entirely with water. Rather water runs out in a trickle matching the pump rate, runs down into the hose, and accumulates there until it reaches the drain level, and then it runs out the drain. If siphoning doesn't occur, this will be, steady state, water running down into the hose, and the same rate of water flowing out the drain. There is air space remaining, all the way down into the hose to the level of the drain. Below that there is water.

When steam generation starts, pressure will develop in the E-cat and the hose, steam will start to flow out above the water. This pressure will force the water in the hose out. Steam will be cooled in the hose, though, and the water accumulated in the hose may be a bit cooler than boiling. Some amount of steam, however, will bubble up through water in the end of the hose at the drain. The exact balance is very difficult to predict, the exact behavior.

However, what we will have at the E-Cat end is quite simple, as long as the flow rate isn't so low that the E-Cat boils away more than is coming in.

Water will continue to flow out the drain as before, reduced in volume by whatever water has boiled. The water vapor from boiling will be ordinary steam. If it's frothy, that's from turbulence inside. I rather doubt it's frothy, as such. Rather, this is steam bubbling up from the cooling chamber through water to the level of the outlet hose opening. It then escapes above the flowing liquid water. The water level will drop below the outlet opening only if the input flow is below the steam generation rate.

The steam is "wet" because steam generated from boiling like this is practically always wet unless special devices are used to separate the water from the vapor. So there are three outflows: liquid water, as a mass of water, flowing as water, water vapor, and entrained liquid water as mist.

All of these are at the same temperature as they leave the E-Cat. That's the characteristic temperature of boiling water, at the pressure present inside.

At any point here, once boiling is established, open the steam valve at the top of the chimney, and what do you see? You see steam, quite possibly "live" as to what it looks like. (That is, very low mist content, so it's quite invisible until it cools from air contact.)

If you drain the hose and look at the end, held up, you will see mist and maybe some live steam coming out, depending on the cooling that's taking place in the host itself. It will be weaker steam than you'd see at the chimney vent, that's practically certain, so the arguments based on steam quantity at the end of the hose are also, at least to a degree, red herrings as well. Jed wants to look at the steam, sparging it close to the E-Cat, because he knows that this is far cleaner, because the cooling in the hose could mask a lot of heat!

Unless you observe the end of the hose for some time, at least, I'd say, about six minutes if Rossi lifts the hose in the middle to empty it, you will not see any flowing water. If you sparge the steam in a bucket, as Lewan apparently did (but without using a specific sparger device that creates small steam bubbles that will be totally absorbed by the water), you will be able to tell how much water is running out, but you won't know how much of this was from overflow and how much was condensed due to cooling in the hose.

Because Lewan noted that the volume of water in the bucket did not match the inflow, we might infer that there is some vaporized water. The problem is determining how much, and Lewan did not report quantitative measurements.

Nobody seems to have realized and addressed, in observing the demos, the possibility of overflow water.

I do not know if this was a deliberate deception on Rossi's part. If it was, it was brilliant! He didn't have to say a word about it. He let all the experts fumble about with wimpy explanations. Given his history, I'd imagine -- if he understood the issues, and he might, I have no reason to believe he's stupid, and he's had a lot more time to think about this stuff than about anyone else -- he was having a blast. Look what idiots they are!

Note: what I've come up with doesn't explain all the heat, it could simply explain some major part of it. There might be something else,some other artifact. Or not, and Rossi is seeing significant heat, up to almost what he's been reporting. My conclusion is that there is very likely *some* overflow water, but it might be small. I have no way of telling how much there is, the demonstrations were not set up to make it possible to tell.

It's kind of funny. There was one fraud scenario that was quite simple, an internal hose that bypasses the cooling chamber, mostly, so cool water runs into the hose. The water remaining in the cooling chamber, being much lower volume, could easily be boiled. That steam would, as with what I've described above, run out above the cooler water below. The temperature sensor in the chimney would measure the temperature of the boiling water and steam. Steam would be seen at the steam relief valve. It is even possible that if the hose were emptied, one might see some steam coming out of the hose end for a little while.

However, my point here is not to assert fraud, but that the real thing that is happening, quite likely, is not entirely different: unboiled water running out the outlet hose. The question is how much. Only a little, the energy calculations are only off by a little. A lot, the energy calculations are way off.

It would be practically trivial to determine the matter. But about the time that the community gets wise to this overflow issue, what does Rossi do? Well, so many "snakes and clowns," and too little time. So no more demonstrations until October!

And it even makes sense. Why should he do demonstrations? He gains nothing, nothing at all.