At 08:14 PM 8/2/2011, Jones Beene wrote:
Mark,

Why measure steam quality at all? If there is one lesson we all should have
learned from the many painful gigabytes of wasted bandwidth on Vortex about
steam quality, it is that you simply cannot satisfy everyone this way. Too
many variables.

But it's perfect for Rossi. I've collapsed to Occam's Razor. Rossi uses vaporization to measure heat because he can easily fool people that way. It worked: look how long it took for some kind of consensus to form that the method was inadequate!

Remember something: what was new about Rossi was not heat from Ni-H. That had been reported before. What was new were claims in the kilowatt region with high COP, and claims of reliability. Suddenly Rossi is claiming huge results, compared to anything before.

If we look carefully, Rossi is still working on reliability problems. It looks like he still doesn't have a settled design.

Why he even did demonstrations is a mystery. Yeah, the story is he wanted to please Focardi. Well, suppose that was his motive. But suppose he didn't have a reliable reactor. How could he please Focardi? Simple. Make a demonstration that isn't actually fraudulent, as he'd think, but allow people to stumble all over their own assumptions, make it look much better than it is. However, that intention, itself, was fraudulent. Not legal fraud, because he's not selling something with false representations.

Just allowing people to make lots of mistakes.

And people cooperated, amply.