OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson <svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, the one little itch that I can't ignore is why does DGT continue to
> behave in what strikes me as being distinctly conciliatory in
> their characterization of Rossi's recent actions. DGT claims they
> have developed more control and a greater safety margin with their
> own in-house "hyperon" designed modules that are presumably based on Rossi's
> original eCat design. If that is the case why would DGT care if Rossi stays
> on board, or flies the coop?

It seems obvious to me. Because he invented the thing. Because they cut a
deal with him, and he transferred the technology to them. An honest, good
businessman will make every effort to patch up a relationship. A
conciliatory attitude is always good. It is better to have him as a friend
than an enemy.

I know nothing about the details of the dispute, but as a general rule,
having lawsuits and accusations fly back and forth is not good for business.
Controversy is not good for business. They are looking for dealers with 40
million euros. If I were a potential dealer, and I heard that Rossi has
denounced them and has ended the relationship, I would hesitate to invest.

> But that doesn't seem to be the case. DGT, continues to give me the
> impression that they still need Rossi, perhaps desperately so.

Their statements give me the impression they have a business deal with him,
and they want to continue it. Rossi apparently believes they have not
honored their obligations. I have no idea what obligations those might be,
or whether they have reneged as Rossi claims.

Jed, I'm curious. Do you have any commentary on this?

I think it is a bad idea to speculate about contracts I have not read. I
have no idea what the dispute is about and no way of knowing whether Rossi's
anger is justified. Without speculating about anything, and looking at
strictly as a businessman, I note that:

1. Controversy is bad for business, as I said.

2. Defkalion willingly cut a deal with Rossi some time ago. I assume they
still desire to continue this relationship. Why wouldn't they?

To be specific, the press reported they will pay him 100 million euros after
the 1 MW reactor test. They thought it was worth that much money when they
made the deal, and I suppose they still think so. I wouldn't know. This
seems dirt-cheap to me. 100 million euros is a pittance for this technology.
I cannot imagine any serious business executive who would balk at this
figure, even if all you get is a trade secret and no patent. The technology
is worth billions of euros. Not up front, but over 10 or 20 years that would
be a reasonable sum, I suppose.