Am 20.09.2011 00:21, schrieb Joe Catania:
Ok, Peter. What I'm saying is I've run into this kind of thing before. There was an electrical engineering professor on TheEEStory.com blog who thought a patent was invalid and falsified because it showed a fuse blowing at a current that (if it were DC) would be insufficient to melt the fuse. I still haven't convinced him that skin effect is the reason it blew.
The most common problem is that people dont know much abou their measuring instruments and about the effects of crestfactor.

If the amperemeter doesnt measure tue effective value, then the measurement is invalid. If the fuse has a resistance of R then the momentanoeous power consumed in the fuse is i^2*R If there is a crest factor of 10, that means 1ms current and 9 ms no current then the average power is P = R*i^2 /10. However, the average current is i_avg= i/10. Therefore the average power is not i_avg*U when we have a crest factor of 10 but it is much higher.

Look here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_factor>

Now the pitfalls are: Most cheap instrument measure the average and not the root mean square average. They display only for DC and for sinusoidal curves correctly because they are specially calibrated for it. The better instruments have so-called true RMS measurement. Most people dont know that in DC mode the average is measured and not the RMS. Often the AC RMS is measured wrong if there is an DC component. Most instruments are not made to measure unusual curveforms correctly. Any instrument has a limitation for the crestfactor and frequency. If these limits are exceeded they can display abstrusely wrong results. So with unusual non-sinoidal waveforms, high crestfactor or rectified DC, you get wrong results. You have to use a 2 channel oscilloscope or a very expensive precision meter and this must be made exactly for the purpose. (It is not sufficient to use expensive instruments, even these will display wrong if they are not made for the specific purpose. If you use the wrong instrument, you get wrong results)

I dont believe the skin effect has much influence at frequencies below 100 kHz. If the frequency is higher, the inductivity and capacitance of the cables and resulting resonance transformation effects should have much more influence to the measurement than the skin effect)

A good method to avoid errors in precision measurements is: Use two different measuring methods and two instruments that are from different vendors.
If the results dont match, then you can be sure, there is an unknown error.

Best,

Peter

He says that skin effect in the case of this fuse would be negligible but he does not calculate it correctly, One must take into account all the Fourier components in the pulse to get the proper effect. He only traets the fundamental and is thus mislead. But a sawtooth wave has harmonics that stretch theoretically to infinity. Although the amplitudes of these harmonics decrease as their frequency increases there is always the same net contribution to skin effect for each frequency decade. In theory the upper limit of frequency should only be limited by the electron plasma frequency. In other words, if there were no such limitation the series would diverge. This is a known property of the harmonic series (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4...) which also diverges and is related tothe sawtooth Fourier components. Where is the paper mentioned?

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Peter Heckert <mailto:peter.heck...@arcor.de>
    *To:* vortex-l@eskimo.com <mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
    *Sent:* Monday, September 19, 2011 5:21 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Vo]:Debunking Steorn Orbo

    Am 19.09.2011 22:33, schrieb Joe Catania:
    Now you are asking me to take it on faith from you. I find you
    less convincing than Steorn.
    Let me explain. All known rules about electricity and magnetism
    are compatible with energy conservation.
    It is therefore impossible to derive an extra energy
    mathematically, basing on /known/ electromagnetic effects like
    skin effect.
    There must be an energy source.

    I dont say that the effect is untrue. If it is true then it is not
    an electromagnetic effect.
    Possibly the Nickel core contains spurious Hydrogen atoms.
    Nickel is magnetostrictive. Possibly the AC induces
    magnetostrictive vibrations in the core or current in microscopic
    superconductive spots and triggers hydrogen Nickel fusion.
    The next locical thing to do would be to measure the frequency
    depency of the effect. Why didnt they do this? Or might they have
    done? Should I buy the paper? Tell me the price.

    Best,

    Peter