Horace Heffner wrote:

Some questions for you and other self-appointed experts here:

This remark seems to have some emotional content.

Darn right it does. I am annoyed.

DO you know of any requirement for anyone here on vortex-l to be an expert to comment?

Not to comment. I have no objection to comments, or to strong opinions. However, experts skilled in the art have said that Galantini's methods are correct. You may disagree but in an academic discussion it is not good form to be dismissive or presumptuous. You may be thinking: "Professor X is a nitwit who doesn't know the first thing about this" but that's not how you say it. You say: "Perhaps I misunderstand what Professor X is saying, but she appears to be overlooking Newton's law of cooling . . ."

There is no requirement here that people adhere to proper academic decorum. This decorum is, needless to say, hypocritical. It is supposed to be. It keep people from getting offended. It helps to keep the conversation focused on the facts instead of personalities. People who "tell it like it is" look sophomoric, in my opinion. People who are dismissive run the risk of being themselves dismissed. It is better to leave some room to retreat in case it turns out you are wrong.