On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Peter Gluck wrote:

Dear Jouni,
I have described this method long ago, for individual e-Cats

A key part of this idea is the reliability obtained by the averaging performed by the large thermal mass of the water container. I am suggesting a hybrid design, a hybrid flow and partial isoperibolic method. It would of course be feasible to employ a mixer and extra thermometer just prior to the water container which does the averaging, but that would also require an extra pump, and flow meter.

I should also note this idea was initially largely for my own use. I have a potential use for calorimetry in the multiple kW range. I optimize the "cheap" variable when designing for my own purposes, with some constraints regarding reliability and accuracy. This is because I am so tight with money the little birdies say "cheep" "cheep" when they fly over me. 8^) I have a 5 thermometer system that should work OK with this approach even with manual recording and spreadsheet analysis. In winter I have the advantage of practically unlimited cooling capacity here in Alaska. Unfortunately my two peristaltic pumps are too small for this power range. I can readily afford the barrel, blue board insulation, copper pipe and hose, fittings etc.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/