On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Peter Gluck wrote:

Dear Horace,

The missing variable is cooling water flow- to be established by Rossi- water that carries the excess heat generated by the 52 (?) Fat Cats and is partially transformed in steam- F1.

To achieve accuracy in delta T measuring the condensing water flow rate should be adjusted to the flow rate of the steam. If the flow is too high the delta T is small and even very small errors in measuring T translate into very large errors in delta T. If the device enthalpy varies rapidly then it is much easier to adjust the cooling water flow to a longer term moving average than to instantaneous measurements.

The flow of mixing water- condensing the steam is say, 5-10 times greater than F1 see please the "formula" given in my paper.

Like most people I don't generally go looking for a URL if it is not provided in a reference.

What matters is not the mixer cooling water flow rate but its combined temperature and flow rate. The flow has to be matched to the steam thermal power, mass flow, and cooling water temperature in order to achieve a significant delta T. This problem does not exist when the steam is condensed into a very large thermal mass of water - provided the large mass is kept in a useful temperature range, and the thermal power from the secondary cooling circuit is matched to the device thermal power. If the thermal mass is large enough such matching can take place gradually and even manually, provided it is properly recorded.

No peristaltic but other types of positive displacement pumps to be used,

I said, "Unfortunately my two peristaltic pumps are too small for this power range." This does not imply that I would even consider trying to buy large peristaltic pumps. Perhaps we have a language barrier. Also, the flow rate for the cooling water should ideally be adjustable to the thermal power output of the device if that is variable and unpredictable. An adjustable flow rate pump, or a selection of pumps, would thus be useful for driving the secondary cooling circuit.

e,g. gear pumps- for which the flow is not influenced by counterpressure.

The flow rate of gear pumps is influenced by a pumping into a large pressure head, both due to rpm loss (slip) for AC induction motors under load, and due to rotor seal leakage under high pressure. In the case of the new Rossi device, it looked like perhaps the water flow was entirely blocked towards the end of the test. This would create as large a pump pressure head as required to terminate flow. The evidence for flow blockage was the high pressure the device was under at the end.

This system measures the enthalpy in any moment, Including the start up period and possibly the heat after death.

The mass flow measurement depends on measuring the mixer exit mass flow. This flow likely contains bubbles, is not well thermally mixed, and has fast dynamics requiring fast sampling times. Some degree of smoothing increases reliability of the numbers and reduces the required sampling rate. A large degree of smoothing provides a first principle check on the flow calorimetry numbers. Of course, in the case of Rossi's device any even low precision mass flow calorimetry is an improvement. In the case of my own work I would like some degree of consistency checking. A hybrid method provides this consistency check.

The formula for efficiency is actually O/3I because electrical energy is at least 3 times more valuable or expensive than
thermal energy

That is not a formula for efficiency but relative value.

Peter