From: Jeff Sutton jsutton.sudb...@gmail.com

>Hello.  I have been following Rossi and the posts since the beginning and am
>very fascinated.
>Rather than a fraud, I believe Rossi is on to something incrementally better
>than those that came before.  He has more success starting the reaction,
>however I think he has little control over it once started
>To that supposition, can others comment on how they believe control exists?
>(For discussion purpose, please suspend any thoughts that it is a scam.)

Rossi, with all his comments, seems to suggest that it takes time to heat up
the ecat to get things started, however from the demonstrations, they do not
seem to have started in any scheduled way.  He does, however, seem to get the
ecat started within a few hours give or take so that is fantastic.

Actually, I think Rossi has a pre defined power up sequence.  Review the data
from the October 6 test and you will see method to his madness.  A guess is
that his procedure is to test individual units.

He has shown it in "self-sustaining" mode but always shuts it down after a few
hours with some excuse.  Why does he do that when the blockbuster note would be
"the ecat just keeps on going."  I suggest this must mean that the ecat cannot
just keep on running for 6 months has he notes; at least in self-sustaining
mode.  and if not in self-sustain mode, then what does he do to "reset" the
reactor?  Use his heating element?  that makes no sense.  Add Hydrogen?  Again
that makes no sense as he could put a regulator on this and do such
automatically.  What resets the operation?

IMHO, Rossi does not want to reveal his trade secrets so easily.  I agree with
you that a long term driven test would prove to all skeptics that a large
amount of excess power is generated.  The self sustaining mode with just one
core active is not the type of operation that is going to be in any final
product without redesign of the device. It is optimized for 3 cores presently,
but could be modified.

The self sustaining mode as demonstrated basically is just a quasi
exponentially damped energy source that cools down at its internally determined
rate.  It must be reheated to operational temperature.  He once talked of using
a duty cycle of power input followed by zero power input to keep it alive for
extended times.

He noted in the 2nd to last demo that he had a frequency generator and it had
been hidden all along, but in the last demo he notes there isn't one.  Does
this suggest that he was trying something new to help in start up or make it
run longer?  Or was this mis-direction?  Where was this device or wires for it
in previous tests?

I think this was a form of mis-direction.

How does he control the reaction?  His only control seems to be the heating
element and the flow of water over the reactor.  But in all experiments, until
quenching, the water flow seemed to be constant.  And one generating
"substantial" heat, clearly controlling the reaction with a heating element
very unlikely.   Is control simply due to the pre-start conditions (the amount
of hydrogen, nickel, geometry) and it runs "out of control" for a few hours?

I think that Rossi actually could control the output power by modulating the
heating element and water flow.  He seems to go to great effort to prevent the
device from being destroyed by thermal run away.  One would think that a
judicious choice of thermal resistance from the core to the heat sink would
optimize his control.  I would also expect the function of energy output versus
temperature within the core is some non linear relationship that can be used
for control as long as the energy output does not become too large and go into
thermal run away and self destruction.

>Any advice on how the control works would be most interesting.

Good luck with your endeavor.

>In any event, forget all the nonsense with his lousy engineering design and
>terrible business skills; few are good at all things.   If Rossi has found a
>way to get the reaction going and produce significant excess energy, he has
>changed the world and >should be recognized for this.

You will be fortunate if you can keep everyone focused on the science instead
of the politics.

Dave