It has been suggested that it is not possible to obtain the rapid increase in
output power measured for the Rossi ECATs.  The reason stated is that the core
would have to have its temperature multiplied by a factor of 6 or so to deliver
the needed power.  This belief is based upon a misunderstanding of the heat
equation and its solutions.  You can find a reference to this information in
Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation.  This is a partial
differential equation that is not very easy to understand but ties the
distribution of heat within a system to time.  One look at this complexity and
you can see why it is confusing.
 It is correct to assume that the temperature gradient immediately feeding the
ECAT water storage must be increased by the 6 to 1(or whatever you need) ratio.
 I doubt that anyone would argue that point, but that does not imply that this
gradient must exist all the way to the ECAT core modules.  Maybe some of the
Vortex members are thinking about the stead state temperature distribution.  In
that case, the temperature gradient would become smoother and follow a curve
based upon the heat flow through the area encountered along its flow path.
In the steady state solution we would expect the core temperature to in fact
rise by the ratio of the output powers as has been argued since it is the
source of all of the heat energy.  The ECAT core temperature is not required to
operate under steady state conditions until a very long period of time has
elapsed.  This long period is not being allowed by definition due to the rapid
power change observations argued against.
Consider this thought experiment.  The cores of one ECAT are heated within 5
minutes to a high temperature by the electrical heating element leading to the
generation of LENR heat.  The cores are now at a temperature that allows the
total output to be 9 kW where they continue to supply energy into the heat
sink.  The water initially knows nothing of this power since a significant
delay exists as the heat makes it way toward the water.  The gradient of
temperature facing the water is zero until the leading edge of the heat wave
reaches that position in space.  Since the gradient is zero, no power is being
delivered to the water.  Next, time elapses and the heat begins to flow into
the water and increase its temperature.  A gradient is now established to allow
the heat flow and this gradient rapidly increases as the power delivered to the
water increases.  The gradient began at zero and will increase as needed to
allow the heat flow required.  There is no reason why this gradient change is
restricted to a value as low as 6 to 1, and I would expect it to be far larger
until the system stabilizes.
Horace Heffner has been generating a finite element model of the heat flow
within his assumed ECAT scam device and will be able to demonstrate this effect
to anyone who does not understand the mechanisms involved.  I recall a time
domain chart he published to vortex that shows his expected gradient of
temperatures along the heat sink.  This graph should be used as reference.
Horace, please take a small amount of your time to explain the effect that I
refer to since you have the finite element model that reveals the solution to
the partial differential equation.  A demonstration is worth a million words in
this case.
Dave