Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 19:43:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Two separate issues: air pocket; and conduction vrs convection
From: jedrothw...@gmail.com
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com

Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could maybe use a gas grill. I'll think about it. Maybe Terry can come

> over and help. Hint, hint.

A candle or a Bunsen burner?  Sure, I just need some notice.

I was thinking more along the lines of plumbing and common sense, which I lack.
I just fired up the grill to make some steaks. The grill is 18" x 11". With the
top closed it reached 283 deg C. That's respectable. More reasonable that a
blowtorch. I guess a steel or copper pipe laid on top of it would get about
that hot too, with the top partially open and no water flowing through through.
What happens when you run water through it? How far from the edge of the grill
would the outside of the pipe be the same temperature as the water? I do not
know, and I do not know how to model this or relate it to the heat exchanger,
but it seems to me this does address the issue. In a sense it is a cleaner test.

Before I consider doing this, I would appreciate it if people here who know a
lot more about this than I do would give some thought to it, and make
recommendations.
I can measure the pipe surface temperature at several points, at various
distances from the grill, and right on the grill with the shielded probe, but I
do not know how much of the air temperature that picks up.

Ideally you would use an IR camera for this.
I guess the inlet would be from a garden hose, and the outlet has to be another
hose or something similar, constricted, to keep the pipe full.