Vorl Bek <vorl....@antichef.com> wrote:

> > >  Gene went from a top academic career to working in a
> > > warehouse at night to feed his family.
> > >

> > He was a science writer. Respectable, yes. Top academic career,
> > no.

In my opinion, being the science writer at MIT puts you at the top of your
career. Gene knew every major science writer in the U.S., many other
writers such as Arthur Clarke, and hundreds of scientists worldwide. This
was before the Internet. He had hundreds of important people in
his Rolodex, and file cabinets full of correspondence from them. I spent a
lot of time in his office wading through old correspondence.

You did not know him. You did not spend weeks at his house, as I did. You
do know what he accomplished, or what difficulties he faced. So I suggest
you stop making ignorant assertions about him.