 From: Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:44 PM
Subject: [Vo]:Ni-64 enrichment

As mentioned in prior posting - Ni-64 costs about $30000 per gram from a
medical supplier. We checked the ones near Rossi's former lab in NH and no
one remembers him or the name Leonardo (LTI, or EON). The reason for
checking was to see if Rossi started out this way first before finding a
less expensive solution.

As for the present - Rossi claims to enrich in Ni-64 himself - not by buying
an enriched isotope. This is unlikely but possible.

The first relevant fact is that over two-thirds of natural nickel is the
58Ni, which has very high nuclear stability - but there is also a ~1%
isotope 64Ni which is 6 a.m.u. or ~11% heavier and has different NMR
properties.

Since nickel can be obtained in liquid form as feedstock and then resold
with the heavier isotopes removed, and since the feedstock is possibly more
valuable with heavier isotopes removed, it is possible to do it yourself
with an ultra-centrifuge, and possibly in combination with NMR techniques
for the net differential manufacturing cost. This is especially true if you
simply want enrichment in 62 and 64 and can work with a nickel supplier and
starting with electroless nickel can also make "nanostructuring" much
simpler, so it could be a double benefit.

I do not think Rossi is that sophisticated, but don't forget that his
backers for 10 years at least were high up in DoE. That could also be the
source of enriched isotope.

If the Swedes ever do release the mass-spec analysis- maybe we will know if
this Ni-64 business is one more Rossi lie, or not. It probably is.

Jones