post #0

guys (no girls here. MEN are ruining the world, so they should be made
responsible to do something god. But fun aside.)

I'm trying
to start a thread concentrating on the construction of  an
Open-Source-LENR-reactor.

The aim is
to build a demonstration reactor, or at least collect relevant data and
methods, for what has to be done.

This seems
to be a step back wrt to hoping that Rossi or DGT or whoever will do the magic
of offering a commercial device soon, which does not have exactly zero
probability, but is also not -to my opinion- above the 50%-level.

As Jed
remarked, there is still a considerable -unresolved- safety-issue.

The
arguments, which have been brought up, that practice trumps theory, have some
charm, but do not hold upon further scrutiny.

Devices
applied in the multimillions  have to be
inherently safe, and I cannot imagine that a device that delivers considerable
power, can go into practice without a generally accepted theory of how the
device works.
So this is
a multistep-process.

Eg UL would
be ill-advised to test an e-cat in a black-box-manner and declare it inherently
save, if in the inside is something which eventually could explode in 1 ppm of
cases. Rossi as often, when riding his 'white horse' is too optimistic on that.
(if he ever has a point)

(the one
institution which is not bothered by that, is the military. So there is a good
argument for the suspicion, that -if any- a military organization is his
customer, and not the broad public.)

------------------
To summarize:

The idea
would be, to conceptualize a reactor ON THE BASIS OF WHAT IS ALREADY KNOWN,
which can be readily reproduced by anybody willing to spend say 10k$.
This would
scale down a bit by division of labor.

(Btw, the
raspberry computer is a good recent example for the power of rightly funneled
open-source.
Compare
this with the repeated failures of the OLPC/MIT/Negroponte initiative, which
simply missed the point. Negroponte seems to be a slow learner.)

-----------------
In post#1 I try
to distill some relevant points from Brian Ahern's design.

Comments+additions+criticisms  of course are very welcome.

But  please, can we concentrate in this thread  on relevant criticism, material
choices,
methods choices, relevant theory-bits .

So lets
start.