On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:
> Interesting information Xavier.  The high Q nature of the resonances
> suggests that the circulating plasmon currents may not be subject to
> significant resistive losses.  Is it possible that these currents are
> flowing within a super conductive structure?

I personally wouldn't call plasmonic resonances "high Q", but I guess
it depends on who you ask... they're many orders of magnitude less
than a whispering gallery or fabry perot resonances.

As for superconductivity, there's none of that going on.  A plasmon is
a quantized oscillation of free charge on the surface of a metal. This
works the same way as signals in any electronic circuit: the electrons
themselves aren't moving (except for a very slow drift velocity), but
they transfer EMF at (nearly) the speed of light.  I should also say
that plasmons are polaritions in that they are coupled with the photon
that creates them.  I'm not so familiar with spheres themselves, but I
know that on, for example, a flat silver film the 1/e lifetime of a
plasmon is something like 100um, at which point it will either decay
back into a photon or be absorbed as heat (resistive losses).

> I would expect large spheres
> of these types of material to be subject to standard resistive losses that
> would broaden any resonance that appears due to size and shape.  Are you
> aware of any transition effects that occur as the size of the particle is
> reduced?

Yes... argh but I can't remember.  A couple of weeks ago I attended a
lecture about gold nanoparticles and I remember something significant
happening around 80nm, but I can't say more.  Basically since the
plasmon is confined to the 2D surface of the sphere there are certain
eigenmodes which can be excited.  But at this point I don't think you
can think of their behavior in the context of standard resistive
losses.  If you look up pictures of metal nanoparticles in suspension
you can see that their size gives you different colors.

> An example would be the appearance of  highly sharpened spectral
> line resonances which shows up as the size of the nanoparticle is
> significantly reduced.  An effect like this would imply that the atoms
> within the nano sized structure are acting in a manner somewhat as a high
> temperature condensate.

Plasmons are oscillations of *free* electrons, which aren't bound to
the atom.  So no condensate here.  Actually, for a condensate you need
neutral atoms like Rubidium or Cesium.

> Can anyone compare the line resonances seen in the nanoparticles to the line
> resonances associated with atomic responses?  I am particularly curious
> about the bandwidth of the resonances about their center frequencies.

Just throwing out numbers here... your run of the mill HeNe has a
linewidth in the GHz, and that's assocated with an atomic transition.
That's pretty big, but you can buy single mode atomic CW sources that
are in the neighborhood of kHz.  This is much sharper than
nanoparticles, which I think are all in the tens of THz