*I am not rejecting it so much as reporting that the Japanese public, mass
media, and people living near reactors have rejected it. The people living
in towns near nuclear reactors insist that they remain shut down. The
central government must bow to their wishes.*

I am heartened to see that you reject simplistic generalization in your
personal thinking. You are not the type of thinker that will throw out the
baby with the bathwater.

You do not reject the very concept of the automobile because GM once
designed, built, and sold the 1961 Corvair or American Motors the 1970
Grenlin.

But that is what the Japanese are doing. They bought a defective product
and failed to upgrade it with a newer and safer model.

Now the Japanese people will take to their feet and walk, painful and
bleeding, the rutted road of energy production with yet another flawed
technologies forced upon them.

The Fukushima disaster is a failure of the Japanese government for taking
the safer path, the easy road that will lead them into eventual national
collapse.

These hapless and incompetent bureaucrats wanted to squeeze the last
possible kilowatt out of a pile of old nuclear junk.

*I'm sure the Japanese could build offshore wind turbines and rooftop solar
at a far lower cost than nuclear energy.*

The Japanese will be at the tender mercies of the Chinese for the rare
earth materials absolutely required to produce and manufacture this green
stuff. But like Germany, they will be forced to buy it from the Chinese at
whatever the market will bear.

Be assured, the cost of goods from any cartel won’t come cheap.

We are entering a new age of national Darwinism, where the decisions made
now about energy production will determine if a country will long survive.

Germany, Japan, France, and China have already sealed their fate. And by
standing pat…by doing business as usual... the US can flood the skies with
enough CO2 from burning their massive coal and gas reserves to destroy
every coastal city on earth.

So far, mankind has lacked the ability to think in a more nuanced way. The
species lacks the ability to act in its long term interest, Such stupidity
will reap its own grim fate.