Jones et al,

I think we have to keep in mind what the essence of a theory is:
It is based on a set of assumptions and expands from those with an established
set of tools, ie 'the set of accepted methods'.

Based on that 'belief' of mine, the Higgs Boson is something which only
'exists' within this belief-system.

A similar case being the Ptolemaen system of cycles and epicycles.

It had-and has- true predictive value, but was a lot more cost-intensive than
the Galilean theory.
So if you have a workable theory, but which does not converge but eventually
needs hyperexponetial effort ton chase the other ghosts (dark matter, dark
energy), one has a problem.

So the next question is, whether the particle zoo can ultimately be closed, or
whether there is some infinite regress, which finally eats up all of the
resources the universe has to offer, to explain 'itself'.

We will see.

Guenter